[SEL] WAS: eBay Seller NOW: efficiency

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 25 09:16:53 PST 2005

OK....here is the deal....
 Some time ago I  came into the orbit of a engineering professor who was a volunteer  "mentor" to a group of rural teenagers.  They are "economically  challenged" which is nothing other than a polite way of saying they  have no money.
 His "mission" is to teach them about alternative  fuel sources, fuel economy, performance issues, etc.  He needed a  "machine" on which they could experiment and guidance in terms of  engine alterations so that agricultural or "crop based" fuels could be  utilized.  His desire was to have an old John Deere 110 as the  "guinea pig" and had but a $400.00 budget.  I helped him find a  source that, once the challenge was explained, donated a 110 which was  in some state of disrepair.  He and his disciples, therefore, had  the fun and the learning experience of, first, restoring the machine  (BTW, the goal was to have it in an "attractive" or "display" state  cosmetically and to "show off their efforts" by using it to tow a float  or something along those lines at the school football games) and, then  retro-fitting the engine to run as efficiently as possible on gasohol.
  So....
  I have the IHC "M" and I was wondering about its potential applications  to their pursuit.  Assuming that the engine can be made  operational AND assuming that the professor expresses an interest, we  still beg several question:
  1.  Can this engine be "fuel converted" so to speak?
  2.  Is there any element of danger or risk involved?
  3.  Would your group be willing to provide guidance to them in  terms of restoration process, parts access advice, and suggestions on  fuel conversion if that is even possible?

 This is just a  thought on my part.  Frankly, I kind of found it "heartwarming"  that this teacher (purely voluntary/no compensation) would undertake  this project and that young people got excited about the "science" and  so took to "restoring" an old, otherwise useless, tractor.
  Please shoot back any views or ideas if any of you also find this to be worthwhile and/or intriguing.
  Obviously, I don't want to approach him with this if you (collectively) suggest that this simply can't work.
  Best.
  Jim Moran

Rob Skinner <rskinner at rustyiron.com> wrote:
> I realize this is a whacky question, especially on
Christmas
> Eve.  However.....
>   do (any or all) of you small engine experts have any
data
> as to the  "efficiency" of various stationary engines.
This
> is not idle  curiousity...I do have a reason for wishing
to know this.

Merry Christmas, Jim.  This won't specifically answer your
question,
but it will give you plenty of things to think about.
http://temp.rustyiron.com/HeatBalance.jpg

Rob