[SEL] health and safety......gone mad.

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Mon Dec 19 20:43:32 PST 2005

Today I went to my local Smorgon Steel supply to buy a piece of 100 x6 MS
flat bar ,an off cut would be OK.To enter the premises it is now required to
wear a safety helmet, a fluro coloured vest and a pair of questionable
safety glasses.

The points I made to the management were....
The safety hat , only three were available none of which were the correct
size and sat on my head like a bloody pimple on a pumpkin.
The glasses were old and not sterilised.
The fluro vest ....apart from making me look like a bloody idiot I could
not see as to what purpose it served.

I was told by management in no uncertain manner that unless I clad myself in
this ridiculous attire I could not enter.
Consequently as I wanted the material I obliged.
To cap it all off ......the item cost me $2 but the bloody paperwork cost
the firm $15 ,computer entry's etc etc.
I must say that the staff member after an interminable time on the keyboard
seemed to grab this figure from out of thin air ,I am sure it bore no
relevance to what was on the screen
I lay the blame for this madness solely at the foot of the United States of
America.
Peter Ogborne
Little Grove ,Albany
West Australia