[SEL] springs

Aenus McShite aenus_mcshite at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 09:37:55 PST 2005

  Perhaps you should check out this website and consider making them yourself. If you do not choose to go that route, perhaps you could contact the author of that site and engage him to make them for you or suggest an advanced hobbyist/entrepenuer who would take on the job for a modest figure.
  Good Luck
  Aenus McShite

James Wiley <jlwiley123 at earthlink.net> wrote:

Arnie suggested I post the specs of the springs to the list - in case someone might have a spring catalog
or extra springs laying around, so here goes:

1) Auxiliary & Injection Pump Plunger Spring FM part number YHA260A7
Minimum Inside Diameter 1"
Maximum Outside Diameter 1 9/32"
Free Length 5 1/4"
Minimum Working Length 3 15/16"
Scale per inch 15# +/- 6%
Section Round
Ends Closed and Ground
Coiled Either hand
Finish Plain or Natural
Pulsation 325 per minute
When spring is completely compressed it should measure not more than 2 1/2"
20# load at 3 15/16" long
39 1/2# load at 2 5/8" long
.128" Piano wire, 18 3/4 totals coils

2) Injection Pump Suction Valve Push Rod Spring FM Part number YHA628A4
Minimum Inside Diameter 29/32"
Maximum Outside Diameter 1 1/16"
Free Length 5 1/2"
Minimum Working Length 3"
Load in Place 6# +/- 6%
Length in Place 3 3/8"
Scale per inch 2 7/8# +/- 6%
Section Round
Ends Closed and Ground
Coiled Either Hand
Finish Natural
22 total coils

I just noticed that the wire size for spring 2 is not specified - I don't know if the other information
is enough to figure that out. In the drawing, the wire looks to be about half the size of spring 1.
Both spring drawings have a note that says the springs should be heat treated in Boiling Water for 1 hour.
I have the drawing scanned and in JPEG form if anyone would like to see them. I started to post them to
my web site, but wasn't sure if that would be ok with FM...

Thanks

James