[SEL] Kwik-Poly

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Dec 5 12:18:25 PST 2005

Arnie, Dave, Rob,
For what it is worth each tank I have QP'd I have gotten the solids out
and then add a 1/2 cup of lacquer thinner. Cover the openings with my
hands and slosh the stuff all around. On old tanks this cuts the
gasoline deposits and varnish. On new tanks this removes the rolling
mill oils and oils/dirt that got on the tank when it was being made.
I'll wash additional times until the lacquer thinner comes out clean.
Then I put an air hose in the tank and set the regulator on about 3-5
psi and blow a slow stream of compressed air in the tank evaporating any
of the lacquer thinner away.
I'll mix up the correct amount of QP and roll it around in the tank
until it sets. I do NOT pour the excess off. You'd mixed it you might as
well use it. If the tank was rusty and thin I'll make sure the heaviest
amount of QP is on he bottom where the rust was. I do no multi coats.
So far I have had NO failures with QP using this process.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
P.S. True story.....muriatic and galvanized together is an unpleasant
reaction. Lot of heat and wicked yellow fumes that will rip your lungs
out. In my teenage years I used to get gal. sheet metal from the local
HVAC place and etch the gal. off and use the metal to patch rusty car
fenders. I killed a whole section of mom's prized hedges with those
yellow vapors! She was PISSED!