[SEL] Question for Rowlands

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Dec 2 06:55:34 PST 2005

Rick S.,
I'd like to add my experience with the urethanes. When I was making the
Stickney patterns I decided to use the urethane product to make the
corebox for the fuel site gage. I made the wooden male part with all the
correct drafts and slicked it up smooth as glass with primer surfacer
and lots of sanding.
Per the urethanes instructions I put on 3 coats of carnoba wax and
sprayed the special release agent on the part too.
Then I loaded the part in the core box and poured the 2 part urethane
in. It set up just as it was supposed too.
However, getting the male part back out proved a hell of a challenge! I
screwed in lags and used a slide hammer on it in several places. No go.
Eventually I had to break the wood male form out of the urethane. It
fought me the entire way and when I was done I had nothing but a pile of
splinters on the floor. Thank goodness the resulting female core box
turned out perfect with no blemishes so it all worked out.

Long story I know, but that is my experience with urethane. This was a
super slick finish and it still didn't release.

Here is a belt tensioner pattern and follow board for the IHC Famous
sawrig. Whip up a pattern of your belt tensioner in wood and you'll be
able to make all the new ones you and your buddies want. It's really not
bad one you get into it. Use something soft like poplar or mahogany and
you'll have an easy job.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Patterns/8Famous/Fork2.htm

Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC