[SEL] model, or not to model?

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Dec 1 17:05:57 PST 2005

Leroy,
    I generally think of a "model" as a reproduced, scaled version of an
original engine.  The scale could be 1/4, 1/2 or even full.  In my book,
a model would be as accurate as possible including detail.  A salesman
sample would probably fit my definition of a model.  However, a
salesman's sample would be different in that it would have been
constructed by the original engine manufacturer (the Callahan salesman
sample that was discussed was actually made by the WP Callahan Co.).  I
made a gent mad at a show last year.  He had one of the Emory Campbell
built Springfields (a full scale reproduction of the 1 HP's).  I said
"Oh, you have one of Emory's Springfield models".  His comment was "its
not a model, its a real engine".  My comment then to him was, "you can
call it an engine, but its not a real one".  He sulled up and didn't say
anything else.  But, in my book, its a model.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY