[SEL] Fw: Broadband and the town of Manas , Virginia, USA, a bit OT

Tom Smith tsmith at hal-pc.org
Sat Aug 27 03:07:54 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Pavlinovich" <pjp at steamengine.com.au>
Subject: Re: [SEL] Fw: Broadband and the town of Manas ,Virginia,USA, a bit
OT

> For a start "broadband" is a very general category and covers hundreds of
> different transmission methods from copper based land lines, through
> radio, microwave, satellite and other mechanisms.

Paul,

Thanks for the email and sharing your experience. The main concern seems to
be interference from the power line grid that is used worldwide for electric
power distribution.

> You sound like the kind of person who does not have a microwave in their
> house because of the radiation it gives off (less than the power wires
> within your walls for those of you that are wondering!).

I can assure you that I do have a microwave oven and other radiation
creating appliances in my house that do indeed cause less radiation than the
"power wires". These "power wires" actually do generate a lot of radiation
so stating that these devises put out less radiation is not saying much. The
difference is, the frequency and radiation levels is generally such that
they don't cause interference with other services. I say generally because
some of these devices do cause interference but can be dealt with by turning
off the offending appliance when it causes objectional interference. This
isn't possible with a broadband powerline source.

> this only carries about 300' reliably! Even if every single house
> installed it it would be no different to every house having a digital
> cordless phone which happen to use the same frequences plus a couple of
> others.

I can also assure you that a source of radiation interference within 300' is
more than enough to cause hugh problems when trying to receive the generally
extremely low level signals of a distress call from a area that has no main
line power and is relying on a small power generator or a battery for power
(which is the case in most of these disaster situations). A radio set up to
receive these signals is much closer than 300' (usually within inches) of
the communications gear because it uses the powerline itself.

> None of the broadband methods I've encountered will interfere in emergency
> communications in any way. It is a bit like using a mobile phone at a fuel
> station - it will NOT set fire to your car :)... Urban legends, what would
> we talk about around the beer circle without them!

I beg to differ with you on your opinion that no interference will be caused
with emergency communication. I'll ask you for the source of that statement.
Maybe the key to your statement is "methods I've encountered". Is it
possible that you haven't fully tested this? It has been proven with studies
conducted by FEMA, ARRL and numerous state agencies that broadband power
line use has a hugh negative effect on both emergency and routine
communication.

It's "my opinion" that the big dollar communications industry has funded
this push for broadband powerline use despite its effects. The money put
into lobbying for this application is staggering.

I guess this is probably way off topic for the SEL group and do apologize.
This should probably be debated in another arena.

Tom