[SEL] Re: HOWT 2005

John Hammink jg.hammink at quicknet.nl
Thu Aug 25 09:55:51 PDT 2005

Hi George,
Man, that's a real HOWT what you're planning to do.
Hope you and John Billing have a very good time and
for us poor home stayers make some nice shots of these
great engines you will see there.

Bon voyage,
John Hammink
Anna Paulowna, Netherlands.
jg.hammink at quicknet.nl
www.oldengine.org/members/hammink/web

I wasn't able to make it to the Portland show this year, but that
enabled me to go on another trip.

This trip started out as a trip to the Rollag show which is one I've
wanted to see for decades (I've always like the early prairie tractors),
plus they're having the Otto engine expo this year.  Like most of my
trips, this one expanded significantly to include as many collections as
possible and make sure that it turns into a HOWT.

Here's the current plan:

I'll leave home tomorrow (Friday) evening around 8pm, pulling my
trailer, to meet up with John Billing at his home in Washington about
170 miles away.

At John's place we'll hook my trailer (already loaded with a large set
of F-M trucks (15hp N size)) to John's pickup.  I've already got 160+k
on my pickup and John's is only 2 months old, so we'll put the mileage
on his pickup and break it in right!  Hopefully, we'll be out of his
place before midnight.

Saturday morning we're scheduled to pick up a engine in Hamilton Montana
to be delivered to Minnesota.

Saturday afternoon we'll be in Idaho Falls Idaho to pick up some engine
parts to be delivered to Nebraska.

Saturday evening, if we can make it to Salt Lake City in time, we'll
visit a collector there.

Sunday afternoon, we'll be in Craig Colorado to pick up a engine John
bought.

Sunday evening, we hope to make it to Sydney Nebraska to spend the
night.

Monday we're in Nebraska for the whole day, we'll visit four collectors
near Sydney, Funk, and Waverly, ending up near Omaha. We'll also drop
off the FM trucks and the engine parts from Idaho.  Maybe buy a few
engine carts while in Nebraska.

Tuesday, we'll go to Cedar Rapids to pick up some more engine stuff for
John, plus go visit another collector in Dunkerton Iowa, then drive up
to Minnesota and spend the night around Rochester.

Wednesday morning we'll drop off the engine we picked up in Montana,
then visit a couple more collections and pick up a engine on our way up
to Rollag.

Thursday and Friday we'll be at the Rollag show!!!

Friday evening we hit the road again and drive across North Dakota
during the night (Paul Pavlinovich did this with me years ago) so we can
be in Montana Saturday morning.

Saturday, visit collectors in Montana and should be in Missoula to spend
the night.

Sunday, drive back home.  Might work in a collection or two along the
route, but we might be tired enough to just want to get back home.

Monday (Labor Day) try to rest up so I can be back at work on Tuesday.

Sounds like fun doesn't it??? ;-)

Wonder why its called a Hell On Wheels Tour?

To UN-subscribe, send a message to:

stationary-engine-request at oldengine.org
with:
unsubscribe
in the subject of the message. Nothing else, no SIGs, etc.