[SEL] Soldering galvanized question

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Aug 12 12:59:42 PDT 2005

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:31:57 -0400
From: Curt <curt at imc-group.com>
Subject: [SEL] Soldering galvanized question.

It has been a LONG time since I watched gutter guys soldering sections
of galvanized guttering together. As a child I recall them treating the
sections to be soldered with something to make the solder wick and
stick. But I don't recall if it was straight acid (muriatic?) or if it
was killed acid.
Anybody remember?
Thanks,
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC

Hi Curt
	For what it is worth I remember when I was a "short one" (45 years or so
back) my Dad using "Spirits of Salts" for tinning on galvanised metal. I
think that this is Hydrochloric Acid but am not sure. He used to brush it
on with a chicken feather - never could afford brushes.
	In your case the "Bakers Fluid" sounds like it was made for the job.
Jerry Evans

---