[SEL] Soldering galvanized question.

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 12:06:22 PDT 2005

On 8/11/05, Curt <curt at imc-group.com> wrote:
> Guys,
> Working on the last details of the Baker Monitor project and I am down
> to preparing the pail that the pump is going to pump water into. I am
> planning on hanging a galvanized pail from the pump and a pipe connected
> to the pail will drain water back to the tank under the cart.
> I am thinking about soldering the pipe into the bucket.
> It has been a LONG time since I watched gutter guys soldering sections
> of galvanized guttering together. As a child I recall them treating the
> sections to be soldered with something to make the solder wick and
> stick. But I don't recall if it was straight acid (muriatic?) or if it
> was killed acid.
> Anybody remember?
> Thanks,
> Curt Holland

Look for 'killed spirits' on Google, we called it Baker's Fluid over
here, probably quite appropriate for your engine! :-))  But a good
resin flux would do the job if you can find some of the old stuff. New
reg's prevent use of a lot of this stuff now, so you cannot always
find it in the shops.

We have a stock of old resin flux at the factory for soldering big
cables etc with a blowtorch.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes