[SEL] NHMA

Adam Cottrill adamcottrill at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 11 04:23:45 PDT 2005

Hi Jeff,
         Again thank you for writing and Ill just close off too, As I said previously im the first to admit the NHMA and the guidelines arent perfect... and I told them this as such at the recent National Rally.

To me the main reason things as they are is firstly the hobby in it self is unique and you cant simply put it in a neat package. The variation or the people and there interests in the hobby are what makes it great. There is still alot more the NHMA could cover if you look back to my annual report and read the business descri[tion you can clearly see this.

The point im trying to make is the Association needs to find a balance that satisfys the majority of members. That being said those who wish to do "other" things that dont come under the Association policys can apply or seek there own private coverage or support there is no rule saying every engine person must be a member of the NHMA.

I aggree with Reg and you Jeff on allowing people into compounds under supervision, I think its great and ive even done it myself with a gentlemen who gave me an engine sometime ago. He traveled 3 hours to the event I was at to see it running for the first time in 60 years, he broke down in tears I was close my self it was very emotional!! I invited him over the fence and I let him assist in starting it (its a big sideshaft) he was stoked and so was I!!

He asked if he could engines further down the compound and I gently told him he would have to get back over the other side of the fence to do that and then ask the owner if it would be ok if he hoped over. He understood and was happy to comply

And to some degree under the policy the NHMA has you can get away with things like this and use common sense in a controled environment. But I stress it is not in the guidelines, however there is no reason why efforts could be made to do that.

However I feel the NHMA is along way from doing that as the lines of communication and some of the basics arnt working right yet to for lack of a better term "complicate" things. Yes it sounds easy when you say it fast but there is a lot more work behind it to make it happen and apply to the 8000 members the NHMA has, and this is something I intend to attempt to move forward personally as I feel it will make the hobby so much better.

Tractors and steam engines driving around in public (yes this looks great and I know where you are comming from) is something im not convinced can be done safely... but someone tell me how it came be done. I admit im not a tractor person so maybe someone who is can provide some thoughts on the matter??

As for your question about familys the answer is yes, in the policy its states between an age of 10 to 70 (from memory) I have had this argument with the actual national secretary on children under 10 simply put insurance companys dont recignise some kid who has grown up around tractors all his life as apposed to one who hasn't and it is very expensive and difficult to get coverage for those under 10 I believe

I hope this answers your questions Jeff if I can help any further or with your forth comming meeting please dont hesitate to let me know off list.

Kind regards,
                 Adam