[SEL] NHMA stuff my thoughts

Adam Cottrill adamcottrill at bigpond.com
Tue Aug 9 22:43:57 PDT 2005

Hi Jeff,
           thanks again for taking the time to write. I am the first to admit the guidelines are perfect but I think you miss my point........ unfortunately we need insurance "Just in case" this is not limited to engine rallys or shows it also applys to cars and house and I said previously and to get these policys we need to do certain things.

"The show was the 52nd annual show and they have a good safety record.
Young teens drive in the tractor pull and the tractor parade. Always
with supervision and training."

This is fantastic!! but would it be fair to say that because of the "supervision and training" the 52nd annual show has had a good safety record....... Now this is where it gets sticky and im my opinion worse than the NHMA Guidelines now you have to find a "competant person" to not only train but operate the equipment and I would suspect there would be guidelines pray tell how these are different in context to the NHMA guidelines. In effect a risk management policy!!!

I have kept cattle in lesser fencing than you have for an engine show.
It's insane. I watched the tug of war with the steam tractor and the
children. They lost three times and all fell down. No harm except for a
skinned knee or two. Right back up to give it another go. "Papa, we
finally won" and that's what it's all about. Family friendly, kid
friendly, and people friendly should be the goal.

Again this is fantastic, I would love to do this at our rally, but how do we stop "oppertunists" those that "Sue" for a skinned knee or two from financially breaking our hobby???

Don't fence me in!!......... I think you are more fenced in than you know

And Reg we have spoken on this many times and forged a good realationship and a huge amount of respect and friendship from it, and you recall I agreed with your thoughts on how it should be. And as I think I suggested to you the reasons for what you mentioned happened in your the club, they where "personal" and not the NHMA ringing up and saying "Reg Ingold is a idiot can him" (not that they would or could do this anyway) sadly the NHMA was used as a lever, means or motivation to achieve someone elses personal goal..... to have you removed from the club.

And this comes back to what one of the other guys said about the personalitys of others!!!

Kind Regards,
                      Adam