[SEL] Re: Club bullshit!! Now with more details.

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 3 18:36:21 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. There were some that didn't quite
understand my message, and perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have
been. I was mad as hell, and have calmed down some.

I'll try to answer the questions I received and make matters more clear
now.

The club site is here: http://frapa.us/
I am a member and I run the web site. The first thing I did when I took
it (web site) over is register a domain. We now have a better Internet
presence and the entire site can be moved with ease if need be. We can
now be found with search engines and that was not possible before. The
old site was used as advertising for the man who originally set up the
club site. That site is still up, but I contacted him, and it now links
to us. That is my biggest contribution to the club to date, and I think
it is an important one. I also pay for the domain and server out of pocket.

The original e-mail I received was regarding a show that has been a club
event for some time. The sender was under the impression that the event
had to be in the newsletter or online for our liability insurance to be
in effect. I sent him to the VP for the insurance info, because being
listed does not insure coverage. If the event is not club sponsored
there is no insurance. Forget the insurance aspect, because that is not
my gripe.

I am concerned that the bored of directors no longer care about showing
engines unless there is a profit for the club. The show this weekend
provides no revenue for the club. It is part of a small town festival,
and our members are part of it. I have attended a couple board meetings,
and the general consensus is that there will be little or no support for
any show that does not provide revenue. I think that is wrong.

There are many events that do provide revenue for the club. The barrel
train is used at others events to provide revenue for us. The fair in
the mountains nearby uses the club to pull their visitors on hay wagons
and we make money. That is all well and good, but it should not be the
driving force for everything we participate in. I have received three
requests for members to show at events this year. All were trashed by
the board.

I believe that every opportunity that is offered to our club to show
engines and/or tractors should be looked at. I look at the sites of Ron
and Rob in California, and I hope I got that right, and those folks are
always showing somewhere. I envy you. I don't know if that cleared
things up a bit or not, but I gave it a shot. I'll reply off list to a
few of you, and ignore one.

Again, I thank you for your comments and feedback.

Jeff Allen