[SEL] Economy gas tank

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Sun Apr 24 11:52:11 PDT 2005

> I got a repo filler from Ray Gardner in Oregon, looks nice.
> I am going to make a tank, it might as well be the correct size.

Hi Ron,
Here's a couple observations from using a repro tank that was purchased from one
of the big parts suppliers.  I don't know if it was supposed to be an "exact"
reproduction or not.

First, it didnt' come with a breather.  Pouring gas into an unvented tank is
downright silly.

Secondly the material was flimsy.  The fill-spout pipe is several inches long
and unsupported.  There is potential for problems.

Third, a solder joint for one of the fittings was faulty.  It wasn't evident for
a couple years, but it eventually broke off.  The problem was probably
exacerbated by the flimsy material.

The tank isn't readily accessible once the engine is mounted on a cart, so it's
gotta be perfect.  I guess my point is, it's good you're building it yourself.

Rob