[SEL] Trusty engine at Tulare show

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Sun Apr 24 04:58:05 PDT 2005

Hello Dave .. Yes definately an English engine and quite rare. If you can
get hold of a copy of TOMMS 100th edition there is an article that i wrote
about our clubs Trusty. It took us something like three years  from the time
that i found it in an old drive in theatre in the mid west of Western
Australia
and it is still being restored . We recieved great help from Tim Maicare
,Richard Amos and  Roland Craven [ who seems to have vanished] and Bill
Young in Tokyo and Chris Maddely. There are two other  engines like ours
,Tim Maicare has one in the UK , there is another in the Tokyo Science
Museum.....Bill Young sent us some very helpful photos. Andy Self in South
Africa has a Clayton Shuttle worth engine ,this is a version made after the
take over of the original makers. The first engine was made in 1887 by Mr
J.H.Knight in Farnham ,Surry ,UK. By 1894 the firm was taken over by the
Shillingford Engineering .
I believe the Timms Brothers have a couple of Clayton Shuttle worth versions
. I tried to contact them for some information on their engines....never had
a reply.
[ These brothers seem to operate in a veil of secrecy].
Our engine,number 689 is an interesting continuous lamp type .It has a
sideshaft driven air pump to  blow across the lamp  flame to the hot tube. A
fuel pump is activated by demand by the pendulum governor.
The ''Four Poster'' model is something else ....very desirable . Very little
history on these engines . I did collect quite a bit but have since handed
it on as i have left the city and no longer have any part in the
restoration.