[SEL] Trusty engine at Tulare show

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Sun Apr 24 00:56:17 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Listerdiesel" <listerdiesel at gmail.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Trusty engine at Tulare show

> On 4/24/05, Jim O'Hagan <jdohagan at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Hi Peter, Thanks for all the pictures of Tulare. Is the Trusty engine of
> > English origin? It kind of has the look! This example is missing some of the
> > ignition system as well as the fuel components. Are there any more complete
> > versions over on your side of the pond? If some one had some close ups , I'd
> > forward them to Greg, the owner. Does any one have any history on the
> > company that manufactured the Trusty 4 poster? Thanks  Jimmy O'Hagan
> > Jim O'Hagan
>
> Hi Jim:
> I'll have a look back through the A-Z of English engines, but my
> initial feeling is that this was a US-built engine. The four-poster
> construction was fairly common in the USA, especially in California,
> but relatively rare in the UK.
> English engines of this era tended to have the maker's full details
> on, while this one only has the name and serial number. That is not a
> particularly odd factor, but one that tends to drive me towards a US
> engine. The other factor is that is looks like a marine engine, it
> wouldn't last very long outdoors in an agricultural environment.
> Peter

Hi Peter, I think this is an English Trusty.
See http://community.webshots.com/photo/26047737/329399260grakvQ
Thse Engine was made by Weyman & Hitchcock in Cheltenham.
I think most of their engines were horizontal.
ISTR that one of our Aussie members soaking a Trusty in a rust removal bath
a couple of years ago.
Dave Croft
Warrington
England