[SEL] Caution Using Ether OT

William Olson weolson at wiktel.com
Sat Apr 23 21:34:53 PDT 2005

I have a 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel in my Ford up here in Northern Minnesota
and it starts fine in the cold, -30 to -40 degree temps in the winter
under the following conditions:  The fuel up here is a blend of number 1
and number 2 diesel in the winter. Or some places you can buy straight
#1.  Number 2 will gel up in the cold weather, but it is used in the
summer months.  I also have a engine block heater which is plugged in
for several hours prior to starting.  I also let it warm up for 10
minutes in the morning before putting it under load on the road.  Power
Service makes a diesel additive which will keep #2 diesel from gelling
up in the cold weather, as well as another additive to keep the
injectors clean and help to lessen the gel problem.
William Olson