[SEL] RE: Pitted shaft & Babbitt bearings

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 11:43:23 PDT 2005

Curt, I have yet to think that one of your ideas is dumb so I have no
intention of deleting this.  I never really thought of replacing the shaft.
A 3" (checked last night) shaft about 54" long complete with keyways,
machined bearing surfaces, threaded holes.... could get a little $$$ though.
  This shaft is serviceable just needs to be a little slicker.  The shim
stock on the O.D. idea is pretty creative and I'm going to keep that one in
my bag of tricks.  Where do I get stainless shimstock?  I've never seen beer
sold in a stainless can??  The dummy shaft solution is looking more & more
attractive all of the time.  I'm going to have to eat my words about the
castings being easily removable.  I should know better than to use the word
"easy" when refering to a 100 year old machine.  I'm not familiar with "DOM"
tubing.  What does DOM mean?