[SEL] RE: Pitted shaft & Babbitt bearings

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 21 11:11:16 PDT 2005

As usual, I get some great ideas when consulting ATIS lists for ideas.
There have been several good ideas given.  I'm afraid that leaving the pitts
alone simply won't work.  The pitted area is actually a strip about 1.5"
wide for the length of the bearing surface on both ends of the shaft.  I'm
thinkg that this is where rain water got in through the oil troughs and sat
on the shaft.  Besides the rusted strip the shaft is pretty smooth.  Leaving
this area alone will result in a big gap in the bearing surface that I think
will cut the bearing quickly.  When I first posed this question I thought
that the bearing castings were permanently attached to the boiler.  Further
investigation shows that they can easily be taken off where I can put them
on a table.  Being able to take them off means that the dummy shaft might
work well.  Of course I've gotten some links to higher temp fillers.  Arnie
asked what size the shaft is... 3.25" or 3.5" about 54" long.  I had already
considered his idea that a shaft of sufficient size could act as a heat sink
and therefore the filler would only see the extreme heat for a short time.
I'm pretty sure that this shaft is big enough.  As always you folks have
give me food for thought.  Thank you!
BTW The shaft in question is the countershaft that drives the wheels on my
Huber steamer.