[SEL] Pitted shaft & Babbitt bearings

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Tue Apr 19 14:53:21 PDT 2005

Hi Andy,

As an alternative to JBWeld, McMaster-Carr lists a couple of high
temperature epoxy putties.  One for aluminum rated to 1400 deg.F and one
for cast iron, steel, and stainless rated to 2000 deg.F.  Under $30 for 8
oz.  Look for 7356A33 (or 7356A32 for the aluminum).
http://www.mcmaster.com/

They also carry the high temperature titanium Devcon rated to 350 deg.F.
That's a bit higher at $65 for a pound.

Realistically, you could probably use the JBWeld also.  The worst that
could happen is that some of it burns out leaving a lesser pit than you
have now.  You'd still need to scrape that as Larry describes, but it
would probably be less scraping than if you left the pits unfilled.

What diameter is the shaft?  If it's beefy, the heat sink effect of the
shaft would probably conduct enough heat away that the JBWeld wouldn't be
badly damaged.

Or just drop $30 and go for the high temperature stuff.  8-))

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com