[SEL] Economy moving parts

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Wed Apr 20 18:08:08 PDT 2005

> instead I am woundering how gun blueing or browning would
> work on cast iron, it would look better and would not interfere
> with the mag trip , anybody do this with good results ?

Hi Rex,
Kelley and I use blueing all the time on engine parts.  Our best results using
the chemical  types has been with Brownell's Oxpho-Blue.  The color is like a
black stain for the metal.  You can do a shoddy pre-cleaning and the metal will
look well aged.  If you keep re-cleaning and re-blueing, it will become very
black.  The color isn't blue.

Don't overlook reverse-electrolysis.  It's more economical on big parts and I
think it gives a more antiquey finish.
http://engines.rustyiron.com/electrolysis

Rob