[SEL] Silver Soldering Failure

Jack Watson nadejack at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 18 18:08:32 PDT 2005

Couple of little hints I've picked up along the way . . .

1. Sometimes I snip off a little bit of silver-solder rod and sit it
near the joint, or even wrap a short length of rod around the fluxed
joint, then apply heat just away from the joint. At a certain
temperature, it melts in.  Useful for heating in a forge.

2. Very tiddly jobs, like spectacle frames or jewelery, I make
silver-solder filings, and mix them with flux, moisten to a paste and
apply this to the area, then heat (judiciously, NOT in a forge!).

3. Joints like copper pipes/nipples, I sometimes pre-"tin" both surfaces
with silver-solder, then gently press them together while heating.
(Sometimes needs 3 hands!)

Well, it works for me!

JW­²