[SEL] Silver Soldering Failure

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 18:21:05 PDT 2005

Luke;
     "The guys that do all the work make all the mistakes". Take a break
from it,
but you can't have that much time in and not have a need to know what's
wrong.
Any machinist worth his salt will tell you that no one gets by without a few
"boo-boos"
in the pail under the bench. You've done some pretty interesting
engineering, and
when it does run, it will be a really sweet victory. Aluminum cylinders have
special heat treated surface, not very thick, and sensitive to overheating.
Have you
thought about a sleeve? As to the crank, what if you solder (or weld) it up
with the journals
left oversize? Finish it between centers, it's got to be true. Don't  give
up. It's
going to run!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy (toolmaker with scrap bucket full under the bench)
Syracuse, New York, USA