[SEL] Re: Pinned Rings - Problems or Not?

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Tue Apr 19 12:19:59 PDT 2005

>  Bearing in mind what you have both written, to solve the strange wear
> pattern that a pinned ring in conjunction with a butt end gap would
> create, the solution was to make the gap on a 45°. This assured the ring
> was wiping completely around the cylinder and would not leave an unworn
> ridge down the length of the cylinder.
>Curt Holland

Hi Curt,
         Pinned, 45ed, butted, or some other configuration I have NEVER
seen "an unworn ridge down the length of the cylinder" and I would bet that
no one else has either!
         Dave
PS, Your comment reminds me of a story:
A famous Viking explorer returned home from a voyage and found his name
missing from the town register. His wife insisted on complaining to the
local civic official who apologized profusely saying, "I must have taken
Lief off my census."