[SEL] Silver Soldering Failure

David Everett deverett2003 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 14:39:40 PDT 2005

Hi Luke

Silver soldering is an acquired art.

Cleanliness is paramount.  Make sure the joint is well fluxed.  If you are worried about the
solder running outside the joint area, coat the limit of solder run with Tippex.  The solder will
not stick to the Tippex.  There needs to be a gap of a couple of thou for the solder to penetrate
the joint.  Another tip - use a triangular file to make a few channels for the solder to run
through the joint if it is a bit tight.

Do not use direct heat on the solder.  Use the heat (whether it is oxy/acetylene or propane) to
generally heat the area to be soldered.  It needs to be heated quickly.  The flux will turn to a
liquid and assuming the heated area is a dull red by then, apply the solder.  If you wait too
long, the flux breqaks down and becomes ineffective.  It should be the heat of the metal that
melts the solder, not the flame.  The solder will flash round / through the joint.  If you see a
ring of solder on the other side of the joint, you've got a good 'un.

It might be easier to practise on a copper joint before trying steel.  Until you are sure of the
technique on your scrap /test joints, do not attempt the real job.

Another thing: Once the solder has set, it takes a higher temperature to remelt it than the
original melting temperature.

Best of luck with your next try.

Hope this helps.

Dave