[SEL] Silver Soldering Failure

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 18 13:55:19 PDT 2005

Did you use a flux?  It is pretty easy to get metal too hot for silver
soldering in my limited experience.  Once that happens, I found it best to
let things cool off, clean the surface with an abrasive and start over.  On
a clean, fluxed surface I heat until the solder starts to melt and it will
wick into the space between the parts immediately.  If heating is continued
after the space is filled, the bonding can be destroyed.  It will be
interesting to hear from some of our more expert contributors.

Bob Holtzer