[SEL] Silver Soldering Failure

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:57:30 PDT 2005

Peter,

I first cleaned the parts really well. It was new steel. I used steel wool
and rubbed the parts down really well. I then applied flux to all of the
surfaces to be joined. I was careful not to touch any of the areas to be
soldered with my hands. I assembled the parts and clamped them down so they
wouldn't move. I then started to apply heat. When I thought it was hot
enough (not red hot) I applied the solder for maybe 5 seconds. It didn't
start to melt, so I applied more heat. Kept trying to get the solder to
melt, but it wouldn't. That's when I started to get it hotter and hotter,
until it started to melt. It was just about getting a redness to it and the
solder finally started to melt. But only for a couple seconds, then it quit
melting as the steel cooled off. I tried everything I could, but no luck.
I'm sure if I watched someone do it I could pick it up. Just wasn't meant to
be.

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA