[SEL] Silver Soldering Failure

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 09:44:13 PDT 2005

On 4/18/05, Luke Tonneberger <flywheelin at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> Well, I tried my hand at silver soldering Saturday and didn't have any
> success. I tried for about 4 hours and just couldn't get it.

<snipped>

>From previous experience I think you are trying to do this the wrong
way, which is causing your failures. Without actually watching you do
it it is difficult translating your problem into a remedy, but I think
that you firstly may be getting the job too hot, you are not brazing,
and secondly you may need to revise how you get the flux and solder
onto the job.

I don't get the metal that hot in the first place, and use a smallish
flame that is kept on the move. The flux should be in place before you
get the solder out, and the solder should run into the joint. If the
solder is blobbing into balls then it is not getting any contact with
the joint and it is almost certainly too hot.

I'd suggest you try cooling the whole process down, maybe try heating
the silver solder separately to get a feel for the melting range
before you try and solder with it.

Like soft soldering, when all the parameters are correct, it is a
really easy process.

HTH

Peter
--