[SEL] Portland - Gas Prices

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Sun Apr 17 18:29:05 PDT 2005

> My wife just ask me "I wonder how many people will not be
> going to Portland this year because of the high gas prices?"

I've been hearing a lot of sniveling about gas prices.  Boo f'ing hoo.

When I was a lad, buying my first car in 1979, it was when prices where just
pushing over the one dollar mark.  One gallon of gasoline at $1.05 in 1979
dollars, when adjusted for inflation to 2005 dollars, comes to $2.80.  The
average cost of gasoline nationwide has not yet reached that mark.

GASOLINE IS CHEAPER TODAY THAN IT WAS 25 YEARS AGO.

Now whose income has matched inflation for the past 25 years?  If you retired in
1979 with a fixed income, you are allowed to snivel (but not much because you
planned poorly).

If you're a working stiff, your experiences and skills should increase, earning
you higher wages, even when adjusted for inflation.  So for you as an
individual, the price of gasoline should be DRAMATICALLY cheaper than it was in
1979.

What other commodity can you think of that has gone down in price?  Houses?
Beer?  Cars?  Don't your cars get better milage than they did in 1979?

Considering the lower price when adjusted for inflation, you're increased wages,
and better mileage mean you're paying less for gasoline now than ever before.

So tell me again what everyone is whimpering about.

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California
mailto:rskinner at rustyiron.com
http://www.rustyiron.com