[SEL] Lindsy Alamo Piston Ring Qustion

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Fri Apr 15 10:09:27 PDT 2005

Professor Dave is right on.
Piston rings rotate during normal operation.
On a 2 stroke/cycle, this is a bad thing due to the ports and edges.
On a 4 stroker it's normal and preferred.
Our low speed engines won't realize much if ANY rotation.
The pins are not really essential.
If they rotate, so what, it's normal and actually wanted. If they don't,
then gee, they are acting like they had pins.
Two choices - take the pins out/remove them or cut the rings to fit the pins.
Precision? Not needed on these antiques.
If you were building a high speed/high power engine, race car, AIRPLANE
engine, etc., I might argue a bit (and let you speak with Charlie if it's
aircraft related - something about ram's blood?).
Even if you cut or grind the rings to fit around the pins, a bit off is NO
big deal.
Listen also on the ring gap  - too little is deadly, too much won't hurt
much. Dave gave advice that will help you make that thing run.

Bill