[SEL] Lindsy Alamo Piston Ring Qustion

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Fri Apr 15 07:54:50 PDT 2005

At 12:04 PM 4/15/2005, you wrote:
>Hi everybody
>
>      I' m talking about the little pin's that hold the ring in place. the
>origional rings have a little pice cut out on the tip of them to go aroud
>the pin in the ring grove if that makes sense. I got the new rings form hit
>& miss
>
>                                                      Stacy

Hi Stacy,
         For your application (an engine show with a 4 cycle engine) the
pins are not really necessary. On a two cycle engine they may be necessary
in order to keep the end of the rings away from the ports--but they are not
necessary on your engine. Many engines (4 cycle) did not have the pins when
they were manufactured. You can simply remove (ie grind them out) and make
life a lot simpler for yourself.
         Dave
PS, The rings you got from Hit and Miss will have to be sized. Two
thousands per inch of bore dia. will be about right.