[SEL] Wire in Main Bearing Caps and bent rod

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Apr 15 05:49:27 PDT 2005

Day or two later, but good morning to you also, Steve :-).  I'm assuming
your Dad did the brass mesh to stake the babbitt in place or was it used to
keep the insert together in case of breakage?

  There's a guy around here that takes his ole truck (with babbitt) to
Sturgis.  Has his tools and onboard babbitt making kit in the back.  Says he
has to stop once or twice during the trip and work on his bearings.  Now
that's high tolerance!

  On another note gang..here's the rod:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/88886243/322492383bUmDwf

With some heat like Curt suggested, it shouldn't be brain surgery to
straighten, and check with a dial indicator.

Crank gear might also need replaced as some teeth are bent considerably
(understandable after what they went thru).

Well later gang, the snow is gone and looks like it might be a nice day.

RickinMt.