[SEL] Wire in Main Bearing Caps

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:49:51 PDT 2005

On 4/14/05, Richard Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
> Overkill was used a lot back then, eh Peter?  Probably not even in the
> dictionary anymore.  I guess William didn't cover the babbitt with main
> bearing shim...although I probably will...would think the grease wouldn't
> ooze out quite so easy.
>
> Well headed for Enco as I'm trying to find some key stock to use for a drill
> guide..key ain't square
>
> later,
> RickinMt.

It is interesting looking at how the older engines evolved processes
that enabled cheaper/easier production or just facilitated getting the
engines actually out of the door.

Lister in the UK  went a fairly well-trodden path with their stuff and
when they found a good solution they stayed with it. Their longevity
was a much due to overkill on the bearing sizes and underrating of the
engines as anything else.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes