[SEL] Biggest part you've lost?

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Tue Apr 12 12:57:56 PDT 2005

I remember Jerry Toews of KS coming to the Waukee Swap meet several
years ago with a load of engines to sell.  He had about a 3 HPon the
back corner of his trailer.  Jerry had just arrived and a guy came up
and said he was interested in the engine on the back corner and wanted
to know if Jerry had the other flywheel for it.  Sure enough, one
flywheel slipped off on the way to Waukee.  I think Jerry gave a big
discount.  Ralph (Buck) Goodlett lost an entire engine once after he
left Portland. Buck stopped for gas and went to the restroom.  He came
out and paid for the gas and then proceeded down the highway.  He looked
back and noticed a chain dragging and that a small engine he had on the
corner of the trailer was missing.  He hit his brakes and a 8 HP engine
on trucks came off the front of the trailer and into the back of his
pickup.  It went through the tailgate.  He thinks that the engine was
stolen while he was in the restroom and they didn't have time to re-hook
the chain.  As a result, the big engine on trucks was free to roll to
the front when he hit his brakes.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY