[SEL] Another Hunk of Junk

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Mon Apr 11 20:53:20 PDT 2005

Just got this one.  It needs some TLC but it will be worth the work.
This is an early "Sumner" engine.  Later they were tagged "F.M.
Watkins".  I don't know all the details but evidently Sumner began
building the engines in Covington, KY.  Watkins either bought the
company or bought the rights to manufacture the engine.  Watkins
continued to make them in KY for a period of time after the
acquisition.  Here are a couple of photos of the engine and then some
accompanying info:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=31718302&p=71496722&f=0

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=31718302&p=71496724&f=0

Here is an 1895 Sumner Ad:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=31718302&p=71497336&f=0

Here is an 1899 Watkins Ad (I think they used the Sumner engine
engraving from '95):

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009203&a=31718302&p=71497338&f=0

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY