[SEL] Safety First/ tractor starting

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Apr 11 12:33:22 PDT 2005

I have a 1922 [[Cleveland]] then Cleatrac. the crank

>Handel is also the gear shift and you can;t get it off to use as a crank
>unless it is in neutral. Now that is safety
>R Fink
>PA

Richard,
What an interesting starting method! When we were in Oz last month one
of the neatest tractors I saw was the KL Bulldog, a 2 stroke hot bulb
tractor designed by the Germans (blatantly copied by the Aussies)

To start the tractor you removed the steering wheel and placed it on the
crankshaft for a "start handle" of sorts.
Here is a picture of one:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/KLBulldog.jpg

Did any other tractor manufactures use unusual starting methods?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
P.S. I figure this is on topic because it IS a hot bulb engine!