[SEL] Cutting Up Grandmother's Bones

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Sun Apr 10 12:03:09 PDT 2005

Hi Charlie,
You mentioned drying your bones.  Is there a reason for going through the extra
trouble?

Since we have a "green bone cutter," I've always used raw bones straight from
the butcher shop.  There's always the marrow and some sinewy parts still
attached, but they go through the machine just fine.  The downside is that by
the end of a warm day at a show, we have a pile of ground up dismembered animals
and our display area is starting to smell like McDonalds.  I'll leave to your
imagination the type of spectators that we begin to attract.

I've been reluctant to use dried-out bones, as they seem harder and they make
scary noises in the bone cutter.  The last thing I want to do is break
something.  I've never sharpened the blades, so maybe that would help in using
dried bones.

Any tips?
Thanks,
Rob