[SEL] Famous/Osborn questions

Harry Terpstra h.terpstra at wxs.nl
Sat Apr 9 13:01:22 PDT 2005

So now I know for sure thats not true.
I learned something today John;-)

I know the difference between the Nonpareil and the Famous engines.
I had both the 3hp Famous and the 4hp Nonpareil. The 4hp NP has the same
bore x stroke as the 3hp famous.
However the flywheels are much bigger  ( I think 33" compared to 26½" for
the Famous)
Also almost all castings are diffrent, it hardly seems a way of saving money
building a "cheap" engine.

> Your engine is fitted with a Bosch oscillating magneto, they
> were first fitted in 1913 for the verticals on demand.

I wonder why IHC had so many diffrent styles magneto options for the
verticals. Does it make more expensive IMO.
The Bosch however is a GREAT magneto!! And all the monkey motion makes it
very interesting to look at when running;-)

> What I understand from Mike he was talking about an Osborne
> engine tag.

I'm very curious to see the Osborne tag Mike!!

Harry Terpstra
Sint Annaparochie
Netherlands
h.terpstra at wxs.nl