[SEL] IHC question - OT - not engine

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Mon Apr 4 11:26:06 PDT 2005

Hi Dwight,

On two occasions I have made use of such a device for other than its
intended purpose.  The first was to raise tropical fish.  The freezer  sat in a
basement with water, fish and aquarium heaters installed.  A small  pump lifted
water to a bucked hanging over the freezer that had fine gravel and  charcoal
and, small holes punched in the bottom.  That kept the water in  good shape.  The
fish thrived and multiplied.

The next time I had use for such a device was during my home brewing  years.
At that time I was living in the Sand Hills of North  Carolina.  I buried a
freezer in the sand to the point the door was at  ground level.  Then, I took a
pointed rod and punched some holes in the  bottom of the freezer.  These
holes were to allow any exploded bottles to  drain out of the freezer.  This setup
worked nicely, allowing the beer to  age slowly and containing any
miscalculations when an occasional bottle  exploded.  The temperature in the container
stayed at about 60-65°F which  was not bad for sipping on a hot evening
although usually I would bring the  bottles into the house, chill and decant into a
pitcher.

It will be work to bring that chest freezer home, but, if you do, I'll bet
you find a use for it.

Regards,
Ron Carroll
Clearmont, Missouri USA