[SEL] Massey Harris tank cooled

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Mon Apr 4 10:08:34 PDT 2005

George,
I knew I should have taken a close up of the casting that made this MH a
tank cooled engine! Missy questioned its' authenticity because the cast
top didn't perfectly follow the upper contour of the waterjacket. But
the top of the plate had some pretty fancy ribbing and lands where the
bolts attached it to the cylinder below. I was inclined to believe it
was authentic. John Hammink's post confirms the factory option.
Ya know Hercules made such a cast iron cap and sold a screen cooled
engine fitted with a water pump. Would you call that a screen cooled engine?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC

Best, George wrote:

>If I take the hopper off my 5hp Galloway and seal it with a plate, does
>that make it a tank cooled engine? :-)

Yes!