[SEL] Rumely OilTurn

MBellar at aol.com MBellar at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 08:46:51 PDT 2005

Last fall I visited my FATG friend. He suggested that I might be interested
in looking at a new pile of rusty iron setting on three pallets along side a
huge cart. The only thing that I instantly recognized was the sheet metal from
the exhaust vent that looked like it was from an OilPull tractor. He said to
check out page 436 in the BRB. Sure enough, the the rusty pile assembled in my
mind to fit Wendell's picture of a 30 HP Rumely OilTurn. Over the winter the
crankshaft and camshaft was turned down, the cylinder resleeved along with
refitting the piston, connecting rod and rod bearing. $$$$$. I think he said that
the connecting rod was recast. The block and cart were cleaned up to look like
new. About two weeks ago I helped pour thirty pounds of babbitt for the lower
half of the mains and camshaft. The top half remain to be poured. A Machinist
friend of his assembled four jigs that allowed him to place shafts in the
block in place of the crank and camshaft for pouring. The jigs also formed dams so
that side thrust edges of the bushings would be perfect. The machinist
mentioned to me that the jig he built allowed him to adjust the crank to within
0.0001" perpendicular to the cylinder, and allowed him to accurately set the
backlash for the cam gears. ----- More to follow as work progresses,----
One other quick taught. The FATG has an industrial powder coat oven that is
big enough to park a tractor inside. Just in case any of you are interested in
powder coating a large engine. In fact, we used the oven to heat the Rumely
block prior to pouring the babbitt.

Tom Bellar