[SEL] Fooled again

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 1 15:13:51 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Anger" <junkmeister2002 at yahoo.ca>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Fooled again

> Bill - you need to get yourself some long series drill bits. Since the
key is so far from the end of the shaft you need to make up a guide as
previously mentioned and clamp it in the keyway near the flyeheel.
> Larry Anger.
> bill at antique-engines.com wrote:
> I STILL can't get the key out of my extra sandwich crank/flywheel to
> finish taking it apart.
> I've welded on it, no luck.
> I've tried drilling, but the shaft sticks out so far I can't get the drill
> close enough.
> It's drilled slightly off-center now, so seems I'm SOL.
> Was watching the other discussion on the stuck key, but the shaft on that
> one isn't in the way like it is this one.
> Would be easier if the shaft didn't stick out 3 or 4" beyond the flywheel.
> Bill
> > Well said George.
> > Keith

In the past I have welded a cheap short drill to an extension rod to do jobs like this.
Sometimes even boring the end of the rod on the lathe to accept the drill then silver
soldering the joint to keep it perfectly parallel.
I just looked in the workshop & found a quickly extended drill.
I cannot remember what for but it must have worked.
(I would have thrown it away otherwise.) 8^)
Dave Croft
Warrington
England
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv