[SEL] Honda oil plug OT

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Fri Apr 1 05:05:14 PST 2005

What do you think the major reason I got out of the business was?
I couldn't stand to work with people doing sub-standard work,
trouble-shooting by replacing parts, sending folks back onto the highway
with faulty brakes or a job poorly done - or outright lying to the car
owner when it took 10 hours to do a 5 hour job because the mechanic didn't
know what they were doing.
Coming in in the AM and seeing a car sitting on the floor with a hole in
the floor, the windshield busted out - from the INSIDE and the dash all
torn up - the car was left on a hoist overnight with no safety set, and a
tall stand under it supporting an exhaust pipe - the hoist dropped, the
stand went up through the floor, dash and windshield.
Coming in and seeing the side of a car smashed in - and a truck tipped off
the front of a hoist, landing on the side of that car - some idiot put a
truck up on the hoist with the front WAAAY to far ahead. Lucky no one was
killed. Pretty well totalled that car that was sitting in the shop for a
tune-up.
Seeing guys in the shop trying to figure out a vibration in a Chevy engine
they had just replaced (using a short-block) Seems the car had a 350, the
short-block they used was a 400 - one is externally balanced via
flexplate, the other internally balanced. Compare engine numbers? Nope -
they, 2 of them, spent a full week trying to figure it out. Wonder what it
cost the shop and the customer..................
Seeing a family sent out in a stationwagon with no brakes because the shop
foreman insisted that all their car needed was the brakes bled (the MC was
shot)
I was nearly fired for arguing with the man but once he'd made up his
mind, he was right, period. Who was the trained tech there? Yup  -wasn't
him.
I DID walk out of that shop a few weeks later - I simply went in, backed
up my truck, loaded my tools, drove away and never looked back.

I rarely trust a vehicle of mine to anyone else.  I was sick of what I was
seeing.

Bill