[SEL] Tandem Trailer

Bob Jacobs Carrowor at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 18:06:37 PDT 2004

Me again Andy,

On the ramps,  I used  1" diamater Drill rod attached to a bracket on each
end and welded on the back of the trailer end to end
}----------{}----------{    something like that, with a piece of pipe cut to
the width of the ramp and welded to the ramp slid over the drill rod.
Proved to be infinately adjustable from only a couple inches between them to
almost the full width of the trailer.  There's a couple downfalls to this
method.  If the trailer is fully loaded you end up transporting it with the
ramps sticking straight up in the air and catching all the wind,  sucks the
ole' fuel milage way down, but if you can figure it out you can hinge the
ramps in the middle and fold them up as you prepare to stow them on the
trailer deck.

The next trailer I build I'll use a similar method for the ramps, but rather
than welding them to the mounting brackets I think I'll drill and tap the
ends of the drill rod so that I can still have them secure but also be able
to remove the ramps from time to time as needed.