[SEL] Sattley resoration

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 21:32:15 PDT 2004

Hello all,

Since I am new to the SEL list, I'll bring the SEL folks up to speed, as those on Jim's list already know. The Maytag restoration I put online is quite popular, and I promised to do the same with the first Sattley. The project started tonight, and more on that later in this message.

I am a professional mechanic/Gomer/automotive technician. I have rebuilt automobile engines including a custom turbo Corvette engine. Nail second gear and you damn well better know how to keep the Vette from swapping ends. Great big grin? YES!! I now rebuild transmissions full time, and the modern computer controlled automatics are pretty sophisticated yet I make them work. The Sattley intimidates me, and that is part of the reason I have did not start the project sooner.

First look can seen at: http://frapa.us/SR.html

We got one head bolt out tonight and I don't like removing broken bolts. First question is: What is the best penetrating oil to use? I have no doubt there will be many more questions as this project continues, but I will document it and put it on my (Jim's space) website.

I do believe I have an education coming, and hope to share it with others that are new to our hobby. Could I sell this information on E-bay? Perhaps I could. Won't do it though. Prefer to offer it for free to all that can use it. Call me a fool if you will, but I prefer to share what knowledge I have for free to my engine buddies. More online as the project moves forward.

Regards,

Jeff Allen
Arvada, Colorado USA

http://oldengine.org/members/allen/