[SEL] Saw Outfit Blade finish

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Thu Sep 23 11:37:00 PDT 2004

Rick,
You know how I like pretty finishes on these old engines and carts, but
I fear you may have made a bit of a mistake blasting your blade. That's
the one part that is still a dull rusty color on my Herc and Famous
sawrigs. Perhaps you did not have a choice but unfortunately blasting
places the surface of the metal in compression and will make a saw blade
"wavy". Blades are hammered in the center area to create some dish. When
the blade is spun up to speed the blade "tightens" and become flat
again, making the outer edge of the blade "tight". Hammering places the
center and mid sections of the blade in compression and the outer area
in tension.
Blasting places the entire blade in compression. When spun the outer
edge will wobble all over the place.
The same thing happens when there is incorrect set in the teeth. Drag
will overheat the outer area of the blade making the blade scary wavy.
Can you chuck the blade up and use some sandpaper to polish the blasting
efforts away making it look more like original?
Then oil it and send it to a blade smith having him sharpen, set,
balance, and hammer it again. Hammering is a technique best left to the
experts. I had mine done by a fellow in SC years ago.
Before my blade was hammered I was shocked at how wavy it was when up to
speed. The blade wobbled enough that I was certain it was going to hit
the sawrig frame! As some point in it's life the table had been hit
numerous time by the blade.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC
Time 2:35 EST