[SEL] Sandwich engine

George Best George_Best at adp.com
Thu Sep 23 10:09:35 PDT 2004

I'm not sure.  Dumb me didn't measure the flywheels or the bore/stroke.
If I'd done that I could have determined which size it was.  I do know
it's a pretty good size engine.

Has a fair amount of original paint and "Sandwich" is still readable on
the hopper.

Unfortunately the rocker arm and support is missing.  The owner thought
he had the rocker arm, but his barn is full of stuff and after a short
search we couldn't find it.  Somewhere I should have some digital
pictures I took of this engine several years ago when it was still
sitting outside at his place and hopefully I can find the pictures to
prove whether the rocker arm was on it then or removed after it was
moved into his barn.

There also is no brass tag on the engine.  However, I removed the cover
on the water hopper and felt around in the dark to see if the rocker arm
was put in the water hopper.  I did feel a thin flat piece that had slid
under the cylinder in the hopper and thought that it might be the brass
tag.  I think engines without tags are worth less than engines with
tags, so I didn't want to discover the missing tag until the engine is
mine! ;-) Have to keep all the bargaining power I can for talking down
the engine to get a good price ;-)

So if I get this engine I'll be looking for someone with the same size
to copy the rocker arm and support if the original ones cannot be found.

Any ideas on the values of Sandwich engines in the 6hp to 8hp size?

George