[SEL] Stupid people and their insurance

Grant Weir weirgrant at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:22:51 PDT 2004

>Subject: Re: [SEL] Stupid People
>
>And - As for not checking out a boiler before firing it - - - I've been
>at shows where a Traction Engine was bought - hauled in from another
>state - filled with water - and fired.
>They were lucky to get a "visual inspection".  This is something that
>seems to run in the blood of "steam barons".  Either they feel they "know
>what they're doing"
>or they like living dangerously.  And - I ain't the one to question their
>ability.
>
>Joe "Pip" Betz said that.

Hi Joe and all,

   Let the pissing contest begin!  :-)   (I'm just kidding... :-)

   You know, if you are actually serious about folks running steamers at
shows without any inspections (and I'm sure you are not) then we really are
wasting our time discussing nasty insurance rates - we need MORE insurance!
Seriously, if people actually are doing the things that you are suggesting
they do, then I'd say that we should invest in quite a bit more insurance
and write up a whole list of new rules while we're at it.   Hang some signs
too.  It's little wonder why rates are so high when such things are taking
place.

  As far as the "steam barons" go I must admit to being quite impressed with
any I have met, at least as far as safety and responsibility goes.  Since
the Medina "accident" all the operators I have met are more than well aware
of personal and public safety and are ready at the drop of a hat to discuss
it.  They are usually quite proud of their operating credentials and/or
training.   It may be different in other areas.

   As to not being the one to question their ability,  I feel that you are
dead wrong.  You absolutely must.  I'll sure stand up and do it - although I
may be doing it over my shoulder while I am running like hell in the
opposite direction.  I would hope that everyone else would do the same.

   Steam boilers are not gas engines.  A gas engine may fall apart while
running and maybe even hurt someone, but if a boiler blows, well, I think we
all know what happens.

   We're pretty lucky up here in the barren wastelands of western Canada.
I've never seen a rope, sign, barrier, or even a suggestion that I stand
back.  Perhaps our time is a comin' but for the moment we are fairly
hassle-free.

   So here's to being responsible for our own hides for once.  If you get
hurt at an engine show,  you were probably getting too close and got
yourself spanked.  Do us all a favour and just go home and lick your wounds.

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada

to offer.