[SEL] re National Rally

Ron Page page at velocitynet.com.au
Wed Sep 15 16:59:17 PDT 2004

Oh Reg, come on.  In my time I have never seen the NHMA coerce any club to
become affiliated.  And as for your use of the word "rules".  Well!  I
mentioned in an earlier email that the NHMA issues "guidelines" and these
have to be read in conjunction with local council and state laws.  This is
due to the fact that these government laws vary from state to state and the
NHMA would need to develop a document as big and as complex as the Tax
Act.to cover them all.  As far as I know there have been two issued 1)
Safety Guidelines and 2) Tractor Guidelines.  There was a third set of
guidelines developed for the conduct of the National Rally however at the
Henty National (you may have been there) the members voted for them to be
Rules because it related to the NHMA event.

The mindset of a lot of the movement is that you cannot do ANYTHING without
having insurance.

You now as well as I do that if you want to put on a show in a public place
the authories demand insurance cover of $10m before approval is granted and
I have heard that in some areas $20m coverage is being asked for.  It is not
a mindset of a lot in the movement.  It is a fact of life.

It is my view that the rules loaded on us are for the protection of the
insurance companies more than the public.

Like any insurance the insurer will outline their rules clearly and not so
clearly to protect themselves as much as possible.  Even your life
insurance, house insurance, car insurance policies contain clauses for this
purpose.

I have played with and owned more engines than most, been to a lot of shows,
seen the occasional stupid act, but never heard of any wild insurance claim.

Don't know about "wild" insurance claims however there have been claims 1)
Campbelltown approximately 10 years ago and more recently out in SW NSW (our
NHMA rep has been away so I cannot provide more details)

The mindless fear that if you have ANY incident, you will automatically be
dragged to court where You WILL have the shirt on your back and everything
else taken from you as a matter of course.

At least those associated with an Incorporated body like the NHMA or a
seperately Incorporated club will be protected.

While I disagree with some of your thougts as outlined above I can agree
with your overall sentiments.

I enjoy all the rallies I go to and from my observation they seem to be
getting bigger and there are more of them.  By comparison we have really
cheap insurance costs because of the size of our organisation.  There are a
lot of organisations that have folded or cannot put on events because they
could not afford the insurance premiums.

Ron