[SEL] OT: Titan Tractor Questions

Dave Ernst shop at cccomm.net
Tue Sep 14 14:45:25 PDT 2004

Joe,
I agree with you about the Tractor List as the latest and greatest
discussion is how or what type of calcium or other that can be put into
tires.
I am a 2 or 4 cylinder steel tractor guy(along with the engines on this
list).
I also own a Titan. 1917 serial number TV3690. It's the earliest one I know
of, but I recently heard of an eariler one in NY State.
The most critical thing to look for when purchasing one is the main and rod
bearings. They  are lubricated from a mechanical drip oiler (Madison-Kipp)
through copper tubing to the main and rod bearings, used once and then the
oil is discarded out the bottom of the crankcase. The oil is delivered to
the rod bearings via slingers and if one of the lines plugs up it will sieze
a bearing. Before you buy, pull the top crankcase cover (8bolts) and look at
the rod bearings. Hopefully some shims will still be there, just check how
much play is there. Just about everything else on that tractor can be
readily fixed, however depending on the year most parts are hard to find.
Is the fuel pump there? Historically they were removed after the tractor was
parked for the last time, removed and used on the larger stationary engines
in that era. Took me two years to find one and then I had to completely
rebuild it.
Price? Good question. $13,000 sounds like an excellent buy if something
terrible isn't wrong.  There was a guy advertising through the Yesterday's
Tractor website recently offering $18,000 not running and $21,000+ for one
running in any condition. It's a typical situation of who wants what, where
and when.
The weight of mine is 5,990 when weighed at a recent tractor show.

Good luck and it is good to know there is another Titan enthusiast out
there.....
Contact me if you need more info.
Dave